CyberFriends.com - the worldwide friendship network
Topic:
We now live in a PC world...
madisyn
madisyn
F 52 USA
What do you all think about companies and businesses saying "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas so as not to offend those who aren't Christian and do not celebrate Christmas?

I realize not everyone celebrates Christmas - but I think it's kind of sad that "Happy Holidays" has permanently replaced Merry Christmas because a lot of people have complained and have demonstrated actual outrage that they are "offended" by the words Merry Christmas.

As far as I'm concerned, Christmas is about CHRIST and is the reason many people celebrate it. I will ALWAYS say Merry Christmas; but, if someone were to say "Happy Holidays" to me, I wouldn't be offended by it and would reciprocate in kind.
on Dec 24, 2016 at 18:26:01
Replies:
tony57
mod
tony57
M 59 United-Kingdom
I do not have religious faith and I don't feel strongly about it, but I do find it a little sad at the development of that trend. While some people of other or no religion may prefer not to be wished merry Christmas, many others observe the non-religious traditions of the season right along with those of faith. As you say madisyn, at the end of the day it is a Christian festival, and we shouldn't be cowed by over-sensibility from, in a spirit of goodwill, wishing others Merry Christmas, any more than we should refrain from saying Eid Mubarak (Blessed Eid), Happy Hannukah, or any other similar greeting when it's appropriate.
on Dec 24, 2016 at 18:37:56
blogger
vip
blogger
F 47 Canada
It's not a big deal for me so long as we celebrate Christmas Day as well as the New Year in our own way. I left Catholicism when I was 17 yet I still believe in Christmas, it is actually my favorite season and I love the songs.
on Jan 11, 2017 at 04:26:55
Home | Contact Us
Copyright © 2017 - All rights reserved.