CyberFriends.com - the worldwide friendship network
Topic:
What Would You Do?
tony57
mod
tony57
M 59 United-Kingdom
If you knew that a close relation who was dear to you - say an adult child, grandchild, sibling, even parent or spouse, was the person the police were seeking for a very serious assault on another person (up to and including murder), would you report them to the authorities, would you help them to evade justice, or would your reaction fall somewhere between those two extremes?

By the way, this is a purely hypothetical question, not a situation I'm facing!
on Jul 8, 2017 at 15:43:04
Replies:
hope7dre
mod
hope7dre
F 57 USA
I think you know my answer, but just in case... I would turn them in. I'd probably take them in myself if I could. That doesn't mean people don't care about their family members and no doubt would be there for them through whatever takes place but running from it is not the answer (at least for me).
on Jul 8, 2017 at 18:46:41
wsultan9
wsultan9
M 47 Egypt
What if the person himself who committed a crime and police seeking for him and making a big sum of money who reports the police..Do you think that he would report the police about himself and sacrifies himself to get the money?
on Jul 8, 2017 at 21:22:00
seth2sol
seth2sol
M 61 USA
I believe life is a process of learning and growth. That would include accepting the consequences of our actions.
I would approach the individual to discuss the situation, and encourage them to take responsibility for their acts. And then, if needed, I would notify authorities.
But I would also assure them of my support, and help as I could for their well being. There can still be light in the darkness.
edited: 1 time | on Jul 8, 2017 at 21:47:08
wsultan9
wsultan9
M 47 Egypt
So, you mean that you would convince give himself up or you would give him up to the police.
edited: 1 time | on Jul 8, 2017 at 22:47:14
seth2sol
seth2sol
M 61 USA
there is no convincing. A wrong was committed and someone has to be held responsible.
on Jul 8, 2017 at 23:02:18
blogger
vip
blogger
F 47 Canada
You can be charged as accessory or accomplice if you don't do it the legal way. It is an obstruction of justice too.
on Jul 9, 2017 at 11:50:31
seth2sol
seth2sol
M 61 USA
Anyone can make a mistake. But people need to realize, things happen in our lives, good as well as bad, but its only a chapter, not our book. We can control our book.
on Jul 9, 2017 at 12:17:05
sjpoly
sjpoly
M 59 USA
I would try to get them to turn themselves in and possibly work with them and a lawyer to help them do it safely. If they didn't go for that I would turn them in.
on Jul 9, 2017 at 23:55:54
mikebond
mikebond
M 38 Malaysia
No one is above the law. And that being said, the right thing to do is uphold it. Otherwise, why is the law there for? Regardless of the criminal's relations, a serious crime had been committed and the victim must receive his or her fair share of justice.

It is difficult we know but justice does require us all to act righteously. Even if it means reporting the offender who is related to us.
on Jul 10, 2017 at 04:30:11
newbeat
mod
newbeat
M 55 USA
Under most circumstances I would tell them I'm alerting the authorities and then I would do so.

But, the circumstances would play a role. It's possible the circumstances would require me to take the rap and do the time for the loved one.
on Sep 12, 2017 at 22:35:00
Home | Contact Us
Copyright © 2017 - All rights reserved.