CyberFriends.com - the worldwide friendship network
Topic:
My quest to read great books
mrscoolc
mrscoolc
F 44 USA
I have decided one of my goals for 2018 is to read 50 great books. So I am asking for your help in this endeavor. Will you share with me one or two books that you considered great reads, and tell me why they are great reads to you? Thank you. I look forward to seeing what everyone shares with me.
on Nov 13, 2017 at 12:33:22
Replies:
tony57
mod
tony57
M 59 United-Kingdom
What a laudable aim, happy reading.

On the assumption that you're looking for a range of genres I'll kick off with a work of non-fiction, Tim Marshall's Prisoners of Geography. In my view this certainly qualifies as a great book. I thought I understood how the world works, but this enhanced my understanding of international geopolitics several hundred percent. I haven't found many factual books I didn't want to put down but this is certainly one.
on Nov 13, 2017 at 13:39:17
sojo50
vip
sojo50
F 67 Canada
If you like historical fiction, I would recommend the Century Trilogy by Ken Follett. These 3 books span the time frame of WWI through to the 1980's. To quote the blurb in the final book, "Ken Follett's Century Trilogy follows the fortunes of five intertwined families--American, German, Russian, English and Welsh--as they make their way through the twentieth century." They are all thick books, but once I started reading, I couldn't put them down!

Good luck with your quest to read 50 books. I'll only accomplish half that number in 2017!
on Nov 13, 2017 at 15:25:58
marc62
vip
marc62
M 55 USA
Well, did you mean great books or Great Books?
on Nov 13, 2017 at 16:36:46
isabel10
vip
isabel10 Online
F 65 France
If you know writting ,no poblems ,I would send you the name of some goo bookd
on Nov 13, 2017 at 18:18:02
mrscoolc
mrscoolc
F 44 USA
Tony - Thank you for your recommendation. That does sound like a great book. I will put it on my list.

sojo - Thank you for the Century trilogy recommendation. I have read the first Kingsbridge book and loved it. I am planning on starting the next one in January. Have you read that series too? Would you recommend reading all the Century books back to back? One year I did read 100 books. The year I got my Kindle. Since then I range between 30-40 usually. I spend too much time online and not enough reading. But I'm hoping to change that with some great books.

Marc - All of the above Now you have to give me a recommendation. I eagerly await it.

Isabel - I look forward to receiving your list.
on Nov 14, 2017 at 13:22:26
marc62
vip
marc62
M 55 USA
Catch-22 is sort of both. But if you've read that . . . I'll have to think a spell.
on Nov 14, 2017 at 13:39:24
lowtide
lowtide
M 55 United-Kingdom
Can't you be more specific about why you are doing this; what you hope to get out of it and what kind of books you like and don't like to read - I've commended books in previous threads here - would you consider reading any modern poetry for instance? I manage about 10-20 books a year depending on how thick they are but read virtually no fiction (outside poetry which isn't always or completely fiction)
on Nov 14, 2017 at 21:25:00
sojo50
vip
sojo50
F 67 Canada
Mrscoolc, I have only read the first book, Pillars of the Earth, in the Kingsbridge series too. I enjoyed it, so should really continue with that series. I don't think it's necessary to read all the Century books back to back. The same characters carry on through all 3 books so it's easy to pick up where you left off. Personally, I like to absorb and think about a book for awhile after I've read it and will read something else entirely different in between. For something lighter in between heavier books, try Kate Morton. They're also historical fiction, but with a bit of a mystery thrown in. Always a good read.
on Nov 14, 2017 at 22:14:10
mrscoolc
mrscoolc
F 44 USA
marc - I haven't read that one. I will put it on my list.

lowtide - I am doing this because a friend and I read books together and discuss them, and we've grown tired of mediocre and subpar books. Life is short and too precious to waste on bad books you know? I am pretty open to all types of books. I feel like if something is well written I can get into almost any genre. I would definitely consider reading modern poetry. I do read some from time to time, but I do often neglect poems; and I really shouldn't. So please recommend away. I do enjoy literary fiction, but I read some nonfiction too. I love memoirs and other stories about people's lives. I look forward to the books you suggest.

sojo - I am the same way. I rarely read a series back to back. It has been 3 years since I read Pillars of the Earth. I will check out Kate Morton too. I think I have heard of her. What is your favorite book by her?

Thank you to everyone who has given me some input. I love to talk about books almost as much as I love to read them.
on Nov 15, 2017 at 21:15:25
tony57
mod
tony57
M 59 United-Kingdom
My wife is something of a bibliophile and she has made two recommendations which she says are great books in both senses: Gulliver's Travels ("I've read it several times and you always find something new in it") and Pride and Prejudice, which you've probably already read mrscoolc.
on Nov 16, 2017 at 14:57:35
Home | Contact Us
Copyright © 2017 - All rights reserved.