CyberFriends.com - the worldwide friendship network
Topic:
Where i'm from, snapshot of a members life
jdoggy
jdoggy
M 62 United-Kingdom
I'd like to invite you all to share some thing about where you are from. To give us an image of your life as it is happening. We all come from different parts of the world and how we go about our lives and manage our home and work life.

Well I suppose I should start. This will probably be the most boring entry in this thread

I live in Central England, Its autumn (fall) here, leaves are changing colour and droppping in the cold wind. It is the coldest night so far, -1 deg centigrade. it gets dark earlier in winter in the northern hemisphere 4:30pm and its dark and cold and windy. I cooked roast lamb, potatoes and vegetables for dinner this evening. (i do all the cooking, washing and cleaning as i'm the carer for my wife who is disabled, makes a change from I.T engineer which I did for a living before full time caring)

This week will be a mixture of hospital appointments, dog walking (see my photos) shopping and housework. I hope to get some drawing or painting done if time permits, I go to an Art club every week and we hope to have an exhibition and I need one or two good pieces to enter.

Christmas is on the horizon so I should be thinking about planning for this great occasion. (in England Christmas is very commercial, the TV is full of Advertisments for things to buy, the shops have so many goods that are produced just for this one Christian festival) everyone buys lots of food because the shops are (mostly) closed for two whole days!

well that's it for now (told you it would be boring) come on its your turn now
edited: 1 time | on Nov 12, 2017 at 16:30:21
Replies:
tony57
mod
tony57
M 59 United-Kingdom
I don't think this is in the lest bit boring jdoggy, on the contrary I think it's a nice idea. I'll have to work on my own contribution, but I hope others will give their reflections on their home areas too.
on Nov 13, 2017 at 11:12:12
sojo50
vip
sojo50
F 67 Canada
Great topic, jdoggy! I think we can learn a lot about life in other countries by sharing our everyday lives. And I think we will find that we are all more alike than different!

I live in southeastern British Columbia, Canada. It's also still officially autumn here, but we have already had a blast of winter. We've had several snowfalls since Halloween, making roads slippery and forcing us to bring out those winter coats and boots. In the past few days, it has been raining though, and much of the snow down here in the valley has melted. Now it's just dreary! Those comfort foods are popular at this time of year here too, but lamb isn't as common as beef or pork. I made Burritos for supper last night, so tried to warm us up with spiciness instead!

This is a quiet, perhaps boring, time of year as we are often kept indoors by inclement weather. Too much time is spent here on the computer, although I always have a book on go too. I have a retired husband underfoot which sometimes hinders getting anything done around the house. The main chore these days seems to be vacuuming up cat hair as we have two lovely Ragdoll cats. They do provide a lot of entertainment with their antics though. Something else that entertains both the cats and myself is watching the birds that come to the feeders in these colder months. I put out both suet and black oil sunflower seeds which attracts a wide variety of birds.

Christmas is very commercial here too, and even before Halloween was done, stores were edging out the Halloween merchandise with Christmas decorations. I do love decorating for Xmas and am currently having to sit on my hands to make myself hold off till Dec. 1. Some snowmen decorations have made an appearance though as I consider them to be more winter than Xmas. A fun outing at this time of year is the Christmas Craft Fairs. I don't buy much, but it's always fun to see what the local crafters have been doing.

Well, I'm off to make some sort of lunch for hubby and myself, and I think I might bake cookies this afternoon. Anyone want to come over for a cuppa and a cookie?
on Nov 13, 2017 at 15:53:49
tony57
mod
tony57
M 59 United-Kingdom
In the north-east of Scotland, where I live, winter has arrived in a kind of rush – if you blinked you missed autumn. Outside my office the horse chestnut trees have laid down a brown carpet of leaves and in my home town pine needles litter the ground. This far north we get used to travelling to work in darkness and travelling home again in darkness; on bad days we’re lucky to see six hours of actual daylight.

We do see a little weak sun, but for the most part this is the season of slate skies and sullen drizzle. Over the next week our average daily temperature will not make it into double figures in Centigrade, and will be close to 0 each night. Here on the coast we haven’t had a heavy fall of winter snow for nearly a decade, but the mountains inland of my home will soon turn white, and the snow gates to Scotland’s highest village will be closed, unlikely to be opened again for several months. I am lucky that my home looks out onto the sea, and even in the worst weather it is an awe-inspiring sight, the rolling battleship grey waves topped with flecks of angry white spume, the gravel of our beach hissing as they crash to shore.

As everywhere else, we are preparing for the season to be jolly, with our high street department store chains competing to out-schmaltz each other with the saccharine sentimentality of their TV adverts. The city where I work invested in new light displays to hang across the main street a couple of years ago, and the twinkling candles, reindeer, snowflakes, polar bears and, improbably, penguins, still have the sheen of festive newness about them. The lights will be switched on a couple of weeks from now by one of the city’s favourite sons, an all-time great of British football (‘the Lawman’ for the cognoscenti). At the same time the city centre will be transformed to a Christmas village, with a European market, a smattering of funfair rides and a skating rink in the public park, now a mandatory feature of any major British city at this time of year. Already the coffee shop are serving their seasonal egg nog and Black Forest lattes in their red cups, but thankfully we are still, for now, spared the constant diet of Do They Know I Believe In Merry Xmas Every Day over the speaker systems.

As to my own Christmas build up, despite my carefully nurtured curmudgeonly attitude I already have my Secret Santa nominee, I have my silly Christmas jumper ready to be worn, and from the office Christmas meal menu I have made my choice from the extensive list of one vegetarian option. In past years I have worked during what is now called Twixmas but this year, for the first time, my office will be closed throughout the Christmas season. Though I slightly resent being forced to sacrifice two of my annual leave days to this I am rather looking forward to my 12-day absence from my office. During that period my town will be busily barricading the town square for the annual New Year’s Eve party (in recent years featuring the likes of Human League and Tears For Fears), and the participants in our famous fireball ceremony will be working on their flexibility and muscularity in preparation for the big night. To be honest, I would quite welcome a light dusting of snow on Christmas Eve, as it can be quite pleasurable rising the following morning and enjoying the sharp freshness of the deserted streets to ascend the hill overlooking the town centre and gaze down on its Christmas card-like appearance.
on Nov 13, 2017 at 17:23:23
isabel10
vip
isabel10 Online
F 65 France
t 60
on Nov 14, 2017 at 10:42:15
jdoggy
jdoggy
M 62 United-Kingdom
Great snapshot, you see I thought all you guys were lumberjacks, drove snowmobiles and had Moose as pets

I'll have a cuppa soon and will think of you cleaning up the moo.. er.. cat hair!

Got a bit confused here thought i was replying to sojo50's post but it looks like the posts are all sequential.
Sorree newbie error
edited: 1 time | on Nov 14, 2017 at 14:54:49
sojo50
vip
sojo50
F 67 Canada
Well, jdoggy, we don't have to worry about cleaning up moose hair because they are a bit big to allow into the house. Make that igloo.... We leave the moose outside to guard the snowmobiles and dog sleds. We're not all lumberjacks, but you know the plaid shirt or jacket you always see them wear? Well, that's a Canadian dinner jacket. And so ends another episode of fake news from Canada!
on Nov 14, 2017 at 22:25:58
helenk
helenk
F 53 Ukraine
One fresh comment from Ukraine. Well, the weather still gives the chance to prolong autumn here. The nights are rather cold but you can still enjoy positive temperature in the afternoon. In spite of rather dull and grey view you can find some bright and colorful places somewhere out. But if you look at people's faces you will surely notice a sign of disappointment and despair there. Very little has changed in Ukraine since 2014. People are still dying, authorities are still pretending to settle the issue, big money is being spent nowhere... Families lose their dear ones. Everyone is looking forward to another New Year as if it could break the rules of this strange and cruel game.
on Nov 15, 2017 at 15:52:26
tony57
mod
tony57
M 59 United-Kingdom
Thank you for your interesting and moving contribution to this topic helenk. The disappointment and despair you describe is entirely understandable. I hope with all my heart that progress will soon be made in ending the horrific conflict that has torn your country apart for the past three years and that a year from now you are able to give your friends here a much happier snapshot of life there.

I hope you and those dear to you are safe and stay safe. I wish you a peaceful end to 2017, and the most joyous possible future for you and all Ukrainians in 2018.
on Nov 15, 2017 at 16:45:44
jdoggy
jdoggy
M 62 United-Kingdom
Thank you Helenk, I'm happy you can still find some brightness and colour in life. Tony57's words are i'm sure a wish we all share for you, your family, friends and your Country. Well said Tony57. Helenk I wish you peace and happiness
on Nov 16, 2017 at 15:56:31
Home | Contact Us
Copyright © 2017 - All rights reserved.