CyberFriends.com - the worldwide friendship network
Topic:
Cashless Society?
tony57
mod
tony57
M 59 United-Kingdom
Sweden is on its way to becoming the world's first entirely cashless society, with predictions that banknotes and coins will be a thing of the past within a decade. Swedish buses have not taken cash for years, it is impossible to buy a ticket on the Stockholm metro with cash, retailers are legally entitled to refuse coins and notes, and street vendors and even churches increasingly prefer card or phone payments. Last year only 2% of all payments made in Sweden involved the use of cash.

Can you foresee a time when money is a thing of the past in the society you live in?
on Sep 12, 2017 at 15:52:26
Replies:
marc62
vip
marc62
M 55 USA
When our civilization implodes.

Seriously, though? Well, let's see. The power grid has to be unassailable - bomb and hack proof. Ditto the banking and payment systems. And . . . absolutely *everyone* has to be able to process plastic (everyone needs an appropriate device and needs to be plugged in or in a position to recharge).

Contrast cash . . . .
A person who won't take it should probably take Thorazine (at the very least, he's an exemplary work of social engineering ). A mugger or a pickpocket might take your cash away from you, but no unseen creep on the other side of an ocean stands much of a chance. And a person using it has little immediate need of power - if a hurricane has just reduced me to 19th century living, my little "presidential friends" still have substantial impact.

"Upload me, Ray Kurzweil - there's no *virtual* life down here!"
on Sep 12, 2017 at 17:26:32
newbeat
mod
newbeat
M 55 USA
We seldom ever use cash, so yes I can see it.
on Sep 13, 2017 at 00:44:32
outlier
outlier
M 67 USA
I only use cash, unless it is a purchase more than $$$$ and then, shockingly, I write a check. But I am an anomaly, my children use their smart phone or credit card, never a check or cash. I am afraid they are the future and I am the past.
on Sep 13, 2017 at 19:32:56
blogger
vip
blogger
F 47 Canada
It is possible in Canada, why not? I think it is better, each country can save a lot in not producing any more bills and coins. We stopped the circulation of cents several years ago and we have new designs from our five to a hundred dollar paper money. My son likes to use interact/debit card for all his purchases including food and school supply.
on Sep 14, 2017 at 17:03:46
anniel12
anniel12
F 34 USA
Yes it seems like we are headed to a cashless society. Though what if our digital bank gets compromise then it would be hard. I still use some cash for food items. And I use a check but it's rare. How do I write again?
on Sep 16, 2017 at 19:09:08
anniel12
anniel12
F 34 USA
Yes it seems like we are headed to a cashless society. Though what if our digital bank gets compromise then it would be hard. I still use some cash for food items. And I use a check but it's rare. How do I write again?
on Sep 16, 2017 at 19:09:22
wykthew
wykthew
M 44 Ireland
Alas yes, it does appear we are on course for a cashless society but I believe it has a lot of hidden dangers. As some folks have mentioned here, there is the obvious fraud issue. However, I think there are also additional pitfalls to consumers.

Every time your card is swiped it leaves a digital trace. That purchase information gets stored "somewhere". Over time a profile is built up of YOU (watch the movie Snowden)! From what type of coffee you drink, to how you bet, if you are a heavy drinker or who you buy phone credit to talk with. I strongly feel peoples personal space and freedoms are being violated. I think when governments bang on about stronger anti-terrorism measures, it's an excuse to monitor and classify every individual on this planet (and that includes looking at your personal purchase history). Cash and coins to a large extent give us freedom, what we choose without anyone knowing about it.

In a world without cash, further questions to consider:
How can vulnerable members of society live - the homeless, beggars, the elderly and the blind?
Is tipping a thing of the past?
Are we on course for a one world currency (if everything is digital) like Bitcoin? If it is Bitcoin, will the USA be happy given that oil prices are traded in Dollars?
Will it destroy the Black Market or will criminality find new ways?
Will tax revenues increase globally?

Lots of things to consider :)
on Sep 18, 2017 at 17:00:13
isabel10
vip
isabel10 Online
F 65 France
Sometimes cash is practical (for small expense =tea in a bar ,an ice cream etc.....But for big expenses I prefer to use cards.
Imagine ;you ask a coffee in a bar and the waiter asks you your card !!!!!
on Sep 18, 2017 at 18:15:30
tony57
mod
tony57
M 59 United-Kingdom
I hand over a card for my coffee almost every morning in Starbucks! And that seems to be the way it works in much of Sweden too.
on Sep 19, 2017 at 07:37:11
isabel10
vip
isabel10 Online
F 65 France
tony57 ,in France we can't pay acoffee with a card .We need money !
on Sep 19, 2017 at 18:26:49
Home | Contact Us
Copyright © 2017 - All rights reserved.