CyberFriends.com - the worldwide friendship network
Topic:
Looking ahead as this New Year begins
sojo50
vip
sojo50
F 67 Canada
There was a topic about what people planned for their New Year's Eve, but how is everyone feeling on this January 1 as they look ahead to 2017? I mean on a personal level, not the state of the world!

The blank slate of a new year ahead should fill me with enthusiasm about what lies ahead, but I actually find it a little depressing. I guess I'm more of a "glass is half empty" person than a "glass is half full". I don't like all that uncertainty.

However, I've decided to be more positive this year by finding something every day to be thankful for, or happy about, and writing it down. It doesn't have to be anything major, but something that perhaps made me smile. I've read the suggestion that each of these thoughts should be written on a piece of paper and placed in a jar. Then at year's end, these positive thoughts should be read. However, I will just write mine in my journal.

It's only 11 a.m. as I write this, but I already have my happy moment for the day. Earlier this morning, I watched my 6 month old kitten, Ava, observing the birds at the feeders. She was just wriggling in anticipation as she watched them come and go. Don't worry, the birds were safe as she's an inside cat! The birds themselves were a delight. At one point, I had 8 Flickers (Woodpeckers) out here, all wanting the suet. They are such a beautiful bird.

With this positive start to the day, perhaps I will find more things to smile about today and the glass will be half full!
on Jan 1, 2017 at 14:11:00
Replies:
wapntake
vip
wapntake
M 45 United-Kingdom
I'm trying to be far more positive, now that 2017 has begun. But I am also a bit daunted. I have a lot of goals to achieve this year, far more than in 2016.

One of those goals is to lose a substantial amount of weight. Today began with a five-mile walk. Moments after arriving home again, it poured with rain. Usually, I'd be caught right in it!

Hopefully, me dodging the rain will serve as a good omen for the rest of the year!
on Jan 1, 2017 at 14:27:10
lilily11
lilily11
F 55 China
sojo50
first say to you: Happy New Year!
yes, like you, I also look ahead just as this new year begins. hoping elderly parents long live. in china, we have a famous saying, you are surely happy with your old parents living quite long! second, hoping my dear sister always keeps happy and healthy, because she and her husband-my brother -in-law have been mothering me since my husband died. third hoping my nephews get more success, for they are always caring about me and have given me so much concerns and the last hope which is the most important: wish my dear students a productive and bright coming year! thank you for the wonderful topic.
on Jan 1, 2017 at 14:32:12
tony57
mod
tony57 Online
M 59 United-Kingdom
I have a kind of same old same old feeling about 2017. It's a bit like a T-shirt slogan I see now and then, new year, same old (rude word for scatology). My working life stretches out inexorably before me like a road to nowhere, and I'm back on my diet now after the Xmas binge. I need to try and adopt your more positive attitude sojo50. Maybe I need a pretty kitten in my life, forever curious and discovering the world. The woodpeckers sound very special.

As usual, forthcoming holidays make up the future highlights of my life. So far that consists of ten days in Spain, another ten days in Conrwall and the sunny, peaceful Scilly Isles, attending the Edinburgh Royal Military Tattoo with a German friend who loves Scottish music, and a 50-50 chance on a sneaked weekend to Helsinki. I also have what people call a 'special birthday' coming up this year, although to me it feels more like a millstone being prepared to be hung round my neck.
on Jan 1, 2017 at 14:37:56
anmaja
vip
anmaja
F 57 Netherlands
I am the glass is half full person and always find something positive. And you made me smile with the woodpeckers story Sojo50 so maybe that is something positive for you!

Today I watched my woodpeckers arguing with a squirrel for the most delicious food on the feeder. There were 3 woodpeckers and 1 squirrel but the squirrel won the battle. In the meantime a little robin was eating the best parts.

There is always something to be thankful for, because you have your friends, the sun is shining, in the night a beautiful clear sky full of stars, a beautiful dragonfly or helping an old man to pick something for him from the top shelf in the supermarket and as a thank you he gives you a big smile.
edited: 1 time | on Jan 1, 2017 at 14:40:11
tony57
mod
tony57 Online
M 59 United-Kingdom
Thanks anmaja, but I can reach the top shelf for myself.
on Jan 1, 2017 at 15:24:43
anmaja
vip
anmaja
F 57 Netherlands
Good to hear modfather!! But if you are 5'1 it can be difficult and you know Dutch women are tall
on Jan 1, 2017 at 15:28:41
isabel10
isabel10
F 64 France
I only hope for 2017, HEALTH ; because when we have health you can do what you want when you want.
on Jan 2, 2017 at 04:27:00
tukta02
tukta02
F 58 Thailand
I really agree with you, Isabella. It is the most important that sometime we forget to think about "Good Health".
So This New Year wish for everyone here , I wish you all have good health and enjoy life in every moment happily.
on Jan 3, 2017 at 06:41:50
blogger
vip
blogger
F 47 Canada
Good health, sound sleep, peace of mind, stress-free life are some of the things that money can't buy. Even billionaires prefer good health than their huge riches.

Moving out to a new place is one sign of a bright new year for me and my son. Hopefully, I can finish another manuscripts for my second and third books, respectively.
on Jan 6, 2017 at 13:18:08
seth2sol
seth2sol
M 61 USA
I need to be more organized, so am drafting a large bookcase.
I also need to work on heath issues so I ordered a course on diet and exercise, and an exercise machine for home, (Total-Gym Fit) and hopefully it gets used.
on Jan 6, 2017 at 17:51:05
Home | Contact Us
Copyright © 2017 - All rights reserved.