CyberFriends.com - the worldwide friendship network
Topic:
Growing up vs growing old
myfend
myfend
M 84 Canada
Contrary to popular belief, growing old doesn't mean that you must forget or change your young person living still inside of you.
Another misconseption is that all old people are cranky and stubborn.
The elderly have passed through much pain that they would prefer to warn the young against ..Usually the warnings are shrugged aside ..Pity !

Still another myth is that the elderly seldom smile..That, my friend is the result of gravity..The skin loses its fight and the mouth may droop and the jowls sometimes follow suit.. I once was a victim of this falacy..
If you care to, visit a retirement home and see for yourself..
You will see the child in every one..
The time you spend away from your Grandparents is a terrible loss for you..and them !
Your parents and grandparents remember the time with love and fondness, when you were growing up.. A child forgets...In time..
Oh..And by the way..If you decide to visit a retirement home..Never mind the gift..YOU are the Gift...
on Aug 1, 2010 at 19:29:49
Replies:
kitkat1
kitkat1
F 61 USA
All is very true, I'm sure, but that last line is great! Thanks for sharing.
on Aug 1, 2010 at 22:49:16
samson
vip
samson
M 69 USA
That is a fact the children don,t know what they are missing bye not talking to the elder they know a lot about life that they could pass on if they would listen to them .I,m thankful that I had older friends to tell me things that happened in their life. Nice topic. Thanks for sharing it.
edited: 1 time | on Aug 2, 2010 at 12:38:39
denise19
vip
denise19
F 60 Luxembourg
Thank you for that nice post, Myfend
I very often think of what my grandmother told me. I especially remember how she could laugh at herself. I can remember one thing we laughed at a lot. She had a big belly (well, not unusual, but she loved eating), and once she was ill (I can't remember what she had) and she was prescribed some medication. She wouldn't take those pills. Her argument was: "what can such a little pill do in my big belly ?"
When my mother got old we had to take her to a retirement home. I loved visiting her there. I loved all the elderly people there. They always had stories to tell. They were not always coherent, but it didn't really matter. We could still laugh together. Even after my mother died, I kept visiting her mates there for some time. It was a good time.
Actually, I have often thought of going to a retirement close to where I live and ask if anybody wants to talk. I have never done it though. Maybe I should
on Aug 2, 2010 at 18:39:53
hope7dre
mod
hope7dre
F 56 USA
I spent a good portion of my childhood living with my grandmother and so far out into the country that you couldn't help but listen. Except for school, there were only elders to talk to. I wouldn't trade it for the world though.
on Aug 2, 2010 at 20:55:39
kilted
kilted
M 49 United-Kingdom
Great posting - gotta remember all!
on Aug 3, 2010 at 10:42:43
petrel3
petrel3
F 61 United-Kingdom
I really like this, its got so much that makes good sense.
on Aug 3, 2010 at 15:18:07
kalola
kalola
F 67 USA
Your comments and observations are so good. Especially the one about growing old and others thinking that there is young person still inside of you . . . . my body is 61 but my mind is still 17! I have many younger friends and we enjoy talking and getting the opinions of each other. I am blessed to have them. I also enjoy my friends that are my own age and older as well. You are so right about visiting the nursing homes. I used to do that when I knew someone there. . . . guess I should take that admonishment and go visit again. Keep smiling in spite of gravity, I am .. . . .
on Aug 3, 2010 at 19:29:03
sojo50
vip
sojo50
F 66 Canada
You've been away too long, myfend! Great topic, and you are a good example of someone who is eternally young.
on Aug 4, 2010 at 01:25:22
bavaria
bavaria
F 61 USA
Wonderful posting - thank-you!
on Aug 4, 2010 at 18:50:35
outlier
outlier
M 66 USA
This worth another read by all CFs
on Jan 8, 2017 at 19:16:46
Home | Contact Us